Friday, January 20, 2012

Cancer

Did you know that one in three people will eventually be affected by cancer?  Isn't that a terrible statistic?  It makes my stomach turn.
When Ryan and I went for our Genetic Counseling appointment we had to go through a whole family history and Ryan and I realized that there is a lot of cancer in our families.  My maternal grandfather had colon cancer, my maternal grandmother had skin cancer and My father HAD bladder cancer.  Ryan's cousin had caner (I can't remember which type), his uncle had testicular cancer, his grandmother has cancer and we're praying the cancer stops there!!
When I said at that appointment, "Wow, I never realized how much cancer was in our family"  the genetic counselor said, "Well, one in three of us will be affected."  And I just stopped and stared at her!  Ouch.


Why am I writing about such a downer topic... well, I have had a week that is cancer full, or not cancer full - however you look at it.

Tuesday, while sitting at my desk knee deep in writing html code at work, my cell phone rang.  It was my dad's cell phone number - my parents rarely call me at work so immediately, that pit in my stomach returned.
Much to my surprise, he was jovial, but I could tell he was choked up.  "I just wanted to tell you that I had my cystoscopy and the doctor said that it was clean - not a trace of cancer... I don't have to go back for another year"... I will never forget that phone call. 
We have been praying for two and a half years that this would happen... and here it was!!  Thank you God for your blessings!!

Today, was not as great.  Two weeks ago, one of my RAs from last year came to me and told me that while at the dentist, he was told that his xray showed a tumor above his teeth, behind his nose; in his head.  He would need a biopsy.  At that time, I thought, "he's only twenty one, there's no way this is going to be anything scary."
The next day he had gone in for a consult and came home and said, "They're saying it's likely cancer"... No no no, he's only in his twenties, this can't really be.  I told him, "Don't worry about this until you know whether or not it is really something to worry about.  They haven't tested it at all, so don't worry yet."  It seemed to help. 
A week later, he came in practically bouncing off the walls.  "It's not cancer!! They said that based on what they saw when they biopsied that it was 98% not cancer".  He knew he'd still have to have it removed and the results from the biopsy hadn't come back yet, but just hearing that there was only 2% chance made him so much better.

Today, he came walking into my office with tears in his eyes.  My heart sunk.  The biopsy results showed that it is cancerous and rather than waiting until March (spring break) to have it removed, he goes in for a consult in 6 days to have it taken out immediately.  They believe they can get the whole thing, but he's still scared out of his mind.  This poor kid...  He's such a fun, happy, goofy young kid and he doesn't deserve this - not that anyone does... I don't know why I say that, but he's dealt with a lot of crap these past two years and he is in store for some good things... certainly not this.

He asked me today, "Why me?"  I told him that it is because he is strong enough to handle and beat this.  That these things happen to people who can handle them and that he will beat this and his story will give someone else the strength and courage they need to get through something like this. 
I honestly believe that.

My boss talked with him after I did and then came and talked to me.  She told me that she said to him, "Amanda's dad is a prime example of how keeping a positive attitude and determination to beat cancer really works."  I was so proud that someone who doesn't even technically know my dad knows how he handled this horrible disease.

She did forget one thing, prayer and faith in God.  My dad's faith in the Lord's plan for him is really to be credited.  That itself gave him his determination and positive attitude (which, might not have been positive ALL the time, but it certainly was positive on the outside more than not)...

I ask that those of you reading this would please say a prayer for Chris.  And a prayer of thanks for my dad, because the Lord certainly has blessed us. 

1 comments:

dirt road mama said...

Omg that story about your RA is devastating..we will pray for him. Anazing news about your dad, can't imagine how happy that makes you!!

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of one little 5 year old with a very big personality and one infant whom I feel like I've always loved! I'm enjoying being a mother while still trying to be a good wife as I go. I was just promoted to a job I dreamed of having! I value my friends and family above all else.

After 10 years together

After 10 years together
June 5, 2004

The 1st Most important Man in my life

The 1st Most important Man in my life
I will Always Be Daddy's Little Girl

The Next Most Important Man in My Life

The Next Most Important Man in My Life
Soulmates... going on 18 years

Our Little Family

Our Little Family
All I've ever wanted...

Mommy's Pride and Joy

Mommy's Pride and Joy
Madison Rebekah-Hope

Followers

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream